Thinking of joining the McArthur laboratory? We are looking for Undergraduate Students to join the lab as thesis students, as part of inquiry or research project coursework, as paid Co-Op students, or as McMaster Work Program placements. Undergraduate students from departments in the Faculties of Health Science, Science, and Engineering are all welcome. Graduate students can join currently funded projects in the laboratory, are encouraged to obtain external funding, and should read up on the Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences Graduate Program. Similarly, Postdoctoral Trainees are recruited depending upon currently funded projects in the laboratory. Postdoctoral trainees are encouraged to pursue external funding. Lastly, depending upon funded projects, Research Assistant positions may be available in the lab.
Andrew G. McArthur, Ph.D. Department of Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8S 4K1 Office: MDCL 2322, Lab: MDCL 2317 (both accessible via MDCL 2308) Phone: 905-525-9140 ext. 21663 firstname.lastname@example.org | Google Scholar | ORCID | GitHub
- Amos Raphenya (BCompEng 2018 & MSc 20203, McMaster University), Lead Software Developer
- Brian Alcock (MSc Biology, McMaster University, 2015), Lead Biocurator
Graduate Students & Post-Docs
- Jalees Nasir (Bachelors – Chemical Biology, McMaster University, 2017), PhD Student
- Karyn Mukiri (Bachelor of Technology, McMaster University, 2019), PhD Student
- Sheridan Baker (PhD, University of Guelph, 20201), Postdoctoral Fellow
- Madeline McCarthy (MSc, University of Saskatchewan, 2021), PhD Student
- Mateusz Wlodarski (Bachelors – Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, 2022), MSc Student
- Colin Bruce (BSc in Microbiology, University of Victoria), PhD Student
- Brody Duncan (MD, McMaster University), MSc Student
2023-2024 Thesis & Inquiry Course Students
- Kriti Goel (3rd year Biochemistry) – BIOCHEM 3R06
- Tiffany Ta (4th year Biomedical Discovery & Commercialization) – BIOMEDDC 4A15
- Kristine Braun (4th year Biomedical Discovery & Commercialization) – BIOMEDDC 4A15
- Kary Yau (4th year Biomedical Discovery & Commercialization) – BIOMEDDC 4A15
- Melissa Elgie (4th year Biochemistry) – BIOCHEM 4T15
CARD Junior Curators
- Keaton Smith (5th year Honours Biology and Pharmacology Co-Op Program)
- Spring Wang (5th year Honours Biology and Pharmacology Co-Op Program)
Past Lab Members
Graduate Students & Postdoctoral Trainees
- 2021-2023 Amos Raphneya (Bachelors in Computer Engineering, McMaster University, 2018), Masters Student in Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- 2020-2022 Arman Edalatmand (Bachelors – Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, 2020), Masters Student in Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- 2021-2022 Mugdha Dave, Masters Student in Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- 2016-2021 Kara Tsang (Bachelors – Biomedical Discovery & Commercialization, McMaster University, 2016), PhD Student in Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- 2020 Ashraf Bazan (MSc, American University in Cairo, 2019), P.D. Student in Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- 2018-2020 Dr. David Speicher (Ph.D., Griffith University, 2012), Postdoctoral Fellow
- 2018-2020 Martins Oloni (B.Sc. 2018), Masters Student in Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- 2016-2018 Krishna Srinivasan (B.Sc. 2016), Masters Student in Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University
- 2005-2006 Shanda Birkeland (B.Sc. 2003), Masters Student in the Marine Biological Laboratory – Brown University Joint Program (degree completed at The University of Georgia)
- 2005-2006 Dr. Heather M.H. Goldstone (Ph.D. Biological Oceanography from WHOI-MIT, 2003). Marine Biological Laboratory – Ellison Program in Global Infectious Disease Postdoctoral Scientist
Nisha Tailor, Fatimah Jessa, Keaton Smith, Sheldon Pereira, Arjun Sharma, Biren Dave, Daim Sardar, Justin Jia, Kara Tsang, Pearl Guo, Sachin Doshi, Tariq Elsayegh, Zachary Lin, Annie Cheng, Branavan Sivapathasundaram, Briony Lago, Godwin Chan, Kirill Pankov, Mohammad Khan, Shan (Jonsson) Lui, Suman Virdee, Anastasia Koutoucheva, Bhavya Singh, Tammy Lau, Alexandra Florescu, Amro ElRafie, Anatoly Miroshnichenko, Arman Edalatmand, Hafsa Omer, Malvika Agarwal, Mateusz Faltyn, Megane Bouchard, Pardeep Gill, Rachel Tran, Rafik Werfalli, Sally Min, Anna-Lisa Nguyen, Corie Niu, Gene Liang, Hamna Imtiaz, Marcel Jansen, Romeo Chalil, Sarah Yaqoob, Sohaib Syed, William Huynh, Bahar Golbon, Jasmine Yang, Komal Kaur, Megan Kwong, Prabakar Shan, Xingjian (Jim) Jiang, Emily Panousis, Sarah Yaqoob, Gene Liang, Hamna Imtiaz
- 2021-2022 Romeo Chalil, Curator-Developer & Help Desk
- 2020-2021 William Huynh, Curator-Developer & Help Desk
- 2020-2021 Ahmed Draia, COVID-19 Project Co-Ordinator
- 2005 Alexandria Papa, Summer Undergraduate Research Assistant
- 2005 Jeremiah Bernier, Summer Research Assistant
- 2004 Matthew Beverly, Intern in Computational Biology as part of the Northeastern University Masters in Bioinformatics Program
- 2003-2005 Shanda Birkeland, Research Assistant for Giardia, Schistosoma, and Trypanosoma Gene Expression Projects.
- 2003-2005 Michael Cipriano, Research Assistant for Giardia Genome Project Database
- 2001-2003 Sarah (Pacocha) Preheim, Research Assistant for Giardia Gene Expression Project.
Marine Biological Laboratory – Ellison Visiting Scholars in Global Infectious Diseases
- 2005 Dr. Elijah Githui, Department of Molecular Genetics, National Museum of Kenya, Nairobi, Kenya. Project: Bioinformatic characterization of Plasmodium cytoskeletal and amine metabolism proteins.
- 2004 Dr. Raphael Isokpehi, South African National Bioinformatics Institute, University of the Western Cape, Bellville, South Africa. Project: Integrative computational analysis of spliceosomal proteins of selected protozoan parasites.
- 2004 Dr. Steven Aley, Department of Biology, University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, Texas. Project: Bioinformatic reconstruction of the metabolism of Giardia lamblia.
- 2003 Sedrick Anderson (Ph.D. student), Meharry Medical College, Nashville, Tennessee. Project: Global gene expression patterns and Trypanosoma brucei serine/threonine protein phosphatase 5.